Last Seasons Blog

Last Seasons Blog is still available to view via this link.
I do ask for a €2 donation from each walker, but only once per week. Half goes to S.O.S Animals, Spain and the other half going to ARCH Horse charity, AID Animal Charity and CUDECA.

Sunday 6 November 2016

The Day my World Changed Forever – Monday 10th October 2016

This entry into the blog is somewhat later than in the usual case, but there is a reason;

The day started like any other and I was really looking forward to exploring a route that had been suggested by one of our members, Meg. This was the third hill walk that I had done in 5 days and was feeling rather good about it, if a little tired. There was just the three of us talking this route, Meg, Paula and myself. We met in the carpark at Monda and then followed Meg to her beautiful South African Log Cabin, nestling in the hills.

From her we trekked on little used tracks that undulated through the hills with some quite steep climbs in places. We eventually arrived at about the halfway point which was the tarmac of the road to Istan. This proved to be a relentless c limb, but offering great views to Malaga in the far distance.
Our route then left the tarmac and took a well maintained track that led past one of the larger houses in the area. We then took the zig-zag path down the side of the hill into the valley and crossed a stream that would have looked beautiful had there been water flowing.


It was then up a long incline and onto the drive back to Meg’s casa as we approached there newly laid coloured concrete terrace that led to the house my life changed. I felt a little whoozy and consequently feinted, everyone thought that I had just overdone things a bit, and despite resting I wasn’t getting any better. I was taken home and from there to Hospital in Malaga where I was diagnosed with arrhythmia.

I spent the next 15 days in hospital and now have a implanted defibrillator. My life was saved but my hill walking days are over I’m sad to say. Hopefully I will be back to an almost normal life in a few weeks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment